Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become a wildland firefighter?

Most wildland firefighters begin as seasonal employees of a federal agency, US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, US Fish & Wildlife Service or National Park Service. These agencies begin their hiring process in November for the following year. The jobs are posted at Depending on where live there are also local fire departments that may be of assistance to you. Click here for more information

Do I have to be affiliated with an agency to attend?

No you do not, we welcome all who meet the prerequisites for the course selected, however if a class is full, agency personnel will be placed ahead of non-agency.

If I can not locate a certificate from a previous Academy can I get it replaced?

Yes you can. If your request is from a class after 2007 to the present we have them saved electronically and can email you a copy at no cost. If it is prior to 2007, we will have a new certificate created (there will be a charge for this.)

What is the difference between a student and a trainee?

Students are those that are registered for a class or classes, trainees register to work under a qualified trainer within the Incident Management Team.

Are you licensed and insured?

Yes, Our parent company "The Upper Arkansas Valley Wildfire Foundation" carries an umbrella insurance policy but does not cover individual health and workman's compensation. 

What is your Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions?

Both can be found at the bottom of our webpage. 

What is your Cancellation and Refund Policy?

A full refund will be given up until 3 weeks prior to the start date of the Academy. Cancellations after the 3 weeks will be charged $30 per class day (example: 3-day class = $90 fee). No refunds will be given for “No Shows”. Please contact the Coordinator for substitutions. All Cancellations must be made by email request to [email protected].